Saturday, March 27, 2010

Self Defense Weapons - Should Consequence Matter?

I attended a self defense product seminar last weekend and while TASER Internationals latest innovation in self defense, the C2 Taser, was being demonstrated, the question came up"can't we be sued for using those?"  Wow, I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Has our society made us so afraid of the legal system that it has actually given an edge to the criminal?

Has the honest, hard working, average individual become so timid that such a question would even have to be asked? Yes, we live in a society were prayer has been taken out of our schools. The ideals of honor and patriotism no longer seem to be instilled in our young, and our idea corporal punishment is a "time out" without video games, but has it really come to the point that when a situation arises where our safety is threatened, that our first reaction is to consider the legal implications before we act?

Well, let me say this. If your answer is yes than it is too late and you are already a victim. If you are going to take the time to consider anything at all, you are already a victim. When confronted with an aggressive or possibly aggressive situation that would call for the use of some sort of defense product, you have only a split second to either act or surrender yourself to your higher power and hope for the best. There is an old saying I can still here my grandfather spouting "boy, it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six". You've got to appreciate the logic of the old timers. What argument is there fore a statement like that?

Now don't get me wrong, I do not promote violence of any kind. I wish with all my heart that we lived in a society that when I am on the side of the road changing a flat tire and a car pulls up behind me, that I did not have to worry whether or not they were there to help me or to rob me. But that is the society we live in and like it or not we must be prepared. That is why my wife and I both carry Pepper Shot pepper spray in our self defense tool box, and my wife even added a C2 Taser just in case.  I have told her time and time again, "If you are approached in a threatening manner or if your spidey sense tells you that you are in danger, Do Not Hesitate, use your tools and get away quickly!"

Then, if that individual manages to get her name and address off of the name tag displayed on her back while she is running away and knows where to have the papers served, we'll sort that out when it happens.  

is clinton kelly gay